The daVinci® Surgical System uses robotic-assisted surgery to facilitate complex, minimally invasive surgical procedures with precision and accuracy. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cleared the daVinci Surgical System for a wide range of gynecological surgeries in 2005.
Common surgeries using the daVinci Surgical System
The skilled physicians at Adriatica Women’s Health have extensive experience using daVinci robotic surgery for the following gynecologic surgical procedures:
- Removal of benign tumors
- Removal of the ovaries
- Endometriosis resection
What are the benefits of using the daVinci Surgical System?
Some of the benefits of using daVinci robotic surgery include:
- Increased surgical precision
- Increased range of motion
- Improved dexterity
- Enhanced visualization
- Improved access to affected area
- Smaller incisions and less scarring
- Less pain and lower risk of complications or infections
- Shorter hospital stays
What are the risks of using the daVinci Surgical System?
As with any surgical procedure, complications may occur. Here are a few risks associated with daVinci robotic surgery:
- Some complex surgeries may require you to remain in an unnatural position, which may cause nerve damage or postoperative soreness.
- As with all machines there is a risk of malfunction. If this were to happen the surgeon would continue the procedure using either laparoscopy or open incision, depending on the type of surgery.
- Any procedure using robotic-assisted technology can increase the costs of the operation and treatment.
Is daVinci robotic surgery right for you?
For some women, robotic surgery may be a good alternative to traditional open surgery or standard laparoscopic procedures. There are a number of people who may have excellent outcomes from this minimally invasive surgical option, including:
- Older women
Many older people will recover more quickly—and without as many complications.
- Career-aged women
Fewer days in the hospital and less recovery time make robotic surgery a good option for busy adults who need to get back to their life quickly.
- Women needing complex surgery
More involved abdominal and vaginal surgeries can be less invasive, thus lowering the risk of complications.
If you’d like to learn more about the daVinci Surgical System or find out whether robotic surgery is right for you, call Adriatica Women’s Health at 855-398-5962.