Menopause can bring about major changes in women’s bodies and minds. And because the symptoms, their severity and the age at which women experience menopause varies, it can seem like a mystery.
But when that time comes for you—whether it occurs in your 30s, 40s or 50s, the doctors at Adriatica Women’s Health are here for you. Our all-women team of board-certified and fellowship-trained physicians offers expert and compassionate menopause treatment in McKinney, Texas.
Managing the physical effects of menopause
Knowing how to deal with the physical changes caused by menopause can help you maintain your comfort and confidence.
Cool down those hot flashes
- Try to avoid “triggers,” such as spicy foods, alcohol and caffeine.
- Stay out of the heat.
- Be an onion: Dress in layers so you can peel them away at the onset of a hot flash.
- Explore nutritional supplements that may alleviate the effects of hot flashes.
Ease vaginal dryness due to menopause
The burning and itching of vaginal dryness can make sex extremely uncomfortable. For many women, over-the-counter vaginal lubricants or moisturizers offer temporary relief.
However, lasting relief from vaginal dryness is possible. It’s called MonaLisa Touch®, and we perform this advanced, minimally invasive treatment in our office.
Make key changes to sleep better
To keep your attitude positive and your energy levels up, here are some ways to get a good night’s sleep:
- Stay active with morning or daytime exercise.
- Set a caffeine cutoff time: None after 12:00 PM!
- Invest in a cooling pad.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet and cool.
- Avoid long, daytime naps.
Reducing mood swings caused by menopause
Getting enough sleep and staying active can help you regulate your moods, along with:
- Beating your stress – Try taking an exercise class or an educational course. Or carve out “you time” to meditate, socialize or volunteer.
- Pinpointing depression – Depression is a serious condition. Talk to your doctor to find out if you are depressed and explore ways to manage it.
Menopause and memory loss
In addition to getting enough sleep, you could ease memory loss by:
- Eating “brain food” – Think avocados, blueberries, leafy greens, salmon and yes, dark chocolate!
- Exercising your body and brain – Physical and mental exercise can help stave off aging and the memory loss associated with it.
Put a team of caring experts behind your optimal health
From state-of-the-art OB/GYN care to overcoming infertility to navigating menopause, Adriatica Women’s Health is your complete healthcare partner. For nearly 20 years, we’ve provided the highest standard of care to help thousands of North Texas women of all ages be at their best. We look forward to doing the same for you.
To learn more, call 855-398-5962, or use our online form to schedule your appointment today.