You’re having a baby? You’re having a baby! As soon as you see the positive sign on that pregnancy test, your life changes. The excitement builds, names may begin to bounce around your head, and you start to plan for your baby’s arrival.
The first step? Your first obstetric appointment. If you haven’t seen your healthcare provider before you became pregnant, your first obstetric visit will be around 8 weeks after your last menstrual period.
Here’s what to expect during your first obstetric appointment
This first visit is all about giving you the best possible care, so get ready to answer questions and talk openly. Your doctor will review your health history, talk about caring for yourself and your baby and address your concerns. Be sure to bring a list of your own questions, and consider taking notes. You’ll be getting a lot of information you’ll want to remember (and as a mom-to-be, you may become forgetful). Other things to expect during your visit include:
- “Official” pregnancy confirmation – Your provider will collect your urine and blood to check your hCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) levels.
- Health check-up – You may have your heart, lungs, breasts and abdomen checked, your blood pressure, height and weight measured, an exam for varicose veins and swelling, a pelvic exam and an assessment of the size of your uterus.
- Ultrasound – You may undergo an ultrasound during the first visit to accurately date your pregnancy. At Adriatica Women’s Health, we offer in-office obstetric and 3D/4D ultrasound.
- Genetic carrier screening –If you weren’t screened before conception, your blood test can also detect if you’re a carrier for genetic conditions such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, Tay-Sachs disease and others.
- STD tests – You may be screened for sexually transmitted infections like hepatitis B, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and HIV.
- Pap smear –Screens for abnormal cervical cells.
- Blood sugar test – If you had gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy or if you’re at higher risk for the condition (if you have a family history), you’ll receive this test.
Trust your obstetric care to the experienced moms/board-certified physicians
During a time of joy and excitement, you may also have feelings of uncertainty and concern. We know, we’ve been there! Our dedicated team of doctors, nurse midwives and nurse practitioner at Adriatica Women’s Health is ready to provide you expert, advanced and compassionate obstetrics in McKinney and Prosper, Texas.
We offer complimentary 45-minute obstetrics orientation classes Tuesday evenings at 6:00 pm and Wednesday mornings at 9:00 am led by our obstetrics coordinator and licensed nurse, Kendall Morin. She’ll review important information like dos and don’ts of pregnancy, recommended testing, what to expect at your office visits and helpful resources for questions and concerns about your pregnancy. At the event, you’ll also receive our free printed book, “Adriatica Women’s Health’s Pregnancy Guide,” along with coupons and other goodies. We encourage the attendance of significant others, but please find a sitter if you have other children.
Come in and see the difference total support and advanced care can make, from the day we confirm your pregnancy to your baby’s birthday. To learn more about our obstetrics orientation classes, call 972-542-8884, or use our easy online form to schedule your appointment today.